Must See

Eastern Market


Nestled in what is known as the Capitol Hill neighborhood, this is the area bounded by North and South Capitol Streets on the west, 15th street on the east and H street on the north and by the Southeast southwest Freeway. Working adults, singles and families with young children largely populate the neighborhood of town houses. This is an old fashioned neighborhood where residents can do their shopping on a daily basis. The flea market of Eastern Market has one of the most diverse markets in the nation. It host up to 100 exhibitors from five continents.

The market participates in a host of holiday and seasonal events to attract visitors, award prices and offer certificates and include those who live in the area into the community. Presently Eastern Market is being met with proposals for renovation. The goal of the renovation plan is to link 8th street’s [Barrack Row] and Eastern Market in order to create a community gathering space.

Beyond the Flea Market. Eastern Market is also known for its cultural attractions, which include the Folger Shakespeare Library and theater and the Library of Congress.

Eastern Market has been featured in scenes of movies including Body of Lies (2008) and Mercury Rising (1998). Learn more

White House Tours


Public tours of the White House are available. Requests must be submitted through one’s Member of Congress.  These self-guided tours are available from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Fridays, and 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Saturdays (excluding federal holidays or unless otherwise noted). Tour hours will be extended when possible based on the official White House schedule. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Requests can be submitted up to six months in advance and no less than 21 days in advance. You are encouraged to submit your request as early as possible as a limited number of spaces are available. All White House tours are free of charge.  (Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.) Learn More

Georgetown Waterfront Park


The Georgetown Waterfront Park is a new national park in Washington, DC that was completed in the fall of 2011. Part of the Georgetown Historic District, the park stretches along the banks of the Potomac River from 31st Street, NW to the Key Bridge. The result of many years of advocacy and fundraising, the site features several notable design elements. Now completed, the park links 225 miles (362 km) of parkland along the Potomac River stretching from Cumberland, Maryland to Mount Vernon, Virginia. The park was designed to passively complement the natural curve of the river. Learn more…

Gardens at Dumbarton Oaks


In 1920, after a long and careful search, Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss found their ideal country house and garden within Washington, DC. They purchased a fifty-three-acre property, described as an old-fashioned house standing in rather neglected grounds, at the highest point of Georgetown. Within a year the Blisses hired landscape gardener Beatrix Farrand to design the gardens. Working in happy and close collaboration for almost thirty years, Mildred Bliss and Beatrix Farrand planned every garden detail, each terrace, bench, urn, and border. Read more…

Georgetown University,


Georgetown University, founded in 1789, is the oldest Catholic University in America and since 1805 has been administered by the Society of Jesus. The first buildings were constructed around the “old quadrangle,” including Healy Hall, constructed between 1877–1909 and designed by Smithmeyer and Pelz. Healy Hall was erected under the stewardship of the Rev. Patrick S. Healy, S.J., who undertook the massive fundraising needed and as a result the building was completed in several stages. Read More…

Old Stone House



The Old Stone House, located at 3051 M Street in Georgetown, was built in 1765, making it the oldest standing building in Washington, DC. The exterior of the house is constructed of locally quarried blue granite. The house was built by Christopher Layman, a cabinetmaker by trade, as both a residence and a shop. Layman died shortly after constructing the house. It was sold to Cassandra Chew who added a wing to the rear of the house in 1767. The street (then called Bridge Street) was a main thoroughfare for road traffic from the Western frontier and paralleled the canal into Georgetown. Read more…

Exorcist Steps


Exorcist Steps, (Between 3600 M St and 3600 Prospect St NW in Georgetown). Made famous by the movie, the “Exorcist Steps” run between Prospect and M St just west of where the Key Bridge deposits people into D.C. In addition to grisly ends to men and devils, the steps are popular among Georgetown students looking for a serious workout during their daily jog along the Potomac.